French Immersion Camps in Chevy Chase
Being a small school, we are able to implement strict safety measures against COVID-19. Therefore, and to provide families in our community a good option for child care in the summer we plan to have our summer camps in person, but you can register for online camps as well.
We understand how important child care is for families. That is why we have decided to have in-person French summer camps for children as well as online with our virtual camps. We want to provide a safe and fun child care option for the families in our community. In making the summer camps as safe as possible, we have limited spots available (9 children in Chevy Chase)
What: a fun and interactive immersion camp for children between 5 and 12
Where: at the Chevy Chase Baptist Church of Washington, 5671 Western Avenue NW, Washington DC 20015
When: July-August, from Monday to Friday, 9am-12pm or 9 to 4:00pm. After Care until 5:30pm. (Not possible during the Covid-19 situation)
- $305/ week for half days (not possible during Summer 2020)
- $405/ week for full days (per child).
- After care costs about $130/week/child from Mo-FRI, 4 to 5:30pm. Early care on demand. (not during the Covid 19 crisis)
The price may vary according to the number of children needing it. You will pay for it on the first day of the camp.
We prepare a fun theme for every week with playful and educational activities that will make learning French a game or a thrilling experience. The camps are intended for all levels of proficiency. We will do artistic activities and games. Non-French speakers will be in full immersion.
Group settings: while playful activities (games, art projects) are planned with the whole group, kids will be separated in proficiency groups (based on age and their French level) for language activities.
1) In the group for English Speakers (from beginners to 2 years of French):
Whether your child is a beginner in French or has been doing some classes, he/she will have a great experience at our French camps for English speakers. The camps are in complete immersion, but making sure the children improve according to their skills and abilities. Our tutors are native speakers and have experience with children.
Our goal is to recreate a natural language environment, in which the children will learn easily, fast and with a lot of fun!
What do we do?
In the morning, the children have intensive French lessons. We will talk for ex. about friends, family, animals, the weather, food, sport, school, daily habits or more content tailor-made to the level of the children. Our program is based on communication: the children don’t just learn vocabulary, but learn how to ask and answer questions, and formulate sentences.
In the afternoon, the group is mixed with the advanced speakers. In full immersion, we play games, sing, play skits; and do some crafts according to the interests of the children and the theme of the week. Playing and doing fun things together facilitate the language learning process. Some parents noticed that their children learn more in a week camp than during a whole classical semester. This is due to our small sized groups and our personalized instruction. Next to the language experience, your child will also make new friends, and learn to communicate in a creative way!
2) Group for advanced, bilingual or French speaking children in Chevy Chase
This group is for children who have already strong French knowledge or are bilingual/ French speakers.
Even though the camps are really fun and playful; many activities are educational as well. They reinforce the language skills of the children, such as their abilities to debate, present little projects, tell or read a story, or play a skit.
What do we do?
In the morning, the children have more pedagogical activities: discussions, reading and writing activities in relation with our weekly theme. Our native and experienced tutors make sure that every child will excel according to her/ his abilities. The afternoon is more recreational: we play games, sing, play skits and do some crafts according to the interests of the children.
3) Typical Camp Day
- Language/ Educational activities (reading, writing, oral expression)
- Art Project (drama, songs, art, crafts) or Games
- Games mostly outside unless the weather is really bad
- Story time
- Art Projects (drama, songs, art, crafts)
Dates and weekly themes 2021:
To register, send the registration form below together with your payment via check sent to French Academy 5749 Governors Pond Cir Alexandria VA22310, or Online (see below)
Online payment includes 3.5% fees. The Online Payment Gate will pop up once you sent your form.
Register Chevy Chase - Tuition $405 or $305
Summer Camp Measures Against COVID-19
At this time our intention is to hold some weekly camps in person to give families in our community the opportunity to have French child care options during the summer. Since the health of all is our number one priority, we want to implement strict safety measures. Below are the precautions we will be taking, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in order to assure that your child has a safe and enjoyable experience at our summer camp.
- At our Chevy Chase location, no more than 9 students will be accepted into each class / camp session.
- Teachers and assistants will strictly reinforce CDC guidelines.
- We kindly ask parents to do so as well.Special Parent/guardian drop off and pick up instructions will be implemented to guarantee 6 feet of space.
- Parents will be asked to take their child’s temperature before dropping them off at class /camp.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be set up at the entrance and in the classroom. Students will be asked to wash/sanitize their hands several times during the day. There is a bathroom inside the classroom.
- Students will have an assigned seat, at least 6 feet apart from other students.Students will be asked to bring their own lunches and sharing food will not be permitted.
- Students will be asked to bring their own supplies (crayons, pencils, pens, paper, markers, etc.) and sharing will not be permitted.All teachers will wear protective masks and students over the age of 5 will kindly be asked to wear a mask as well.
- Activities and games during classes and camps will abide by physical distancing guidelines.We plan to have as many activities as possible outside.
- When traveling outside, students will follow a “rope system” by holding onto an assigned spot on a rope, more than 6 feet apart from other students.
- Right after usage, shared material and games will be sanitized.
- Children will immediately wash their hands or use hand sanitizer.Non-washable toys, materials and games will not be used this year during camps.
- Once the day is over, the building and classroom will be thoroughly cleaned for the next day.
While we understand these precautions may be inconvenient, the sole purpose is to provide a safe environment for your child and our staff.
In case we cannot meet in person summer classes (Saturdays in DC and Sundays in Alexandria) will be online.
If camps have to be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, families will be refunded for the days missed.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out and ask! Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.