What is my level?
Here is a short self-assesment to help you find your proficiency level. Before or upon registration to a class, we will send you a little test, to make sure you chose the right level. You can also schedule a short phone interview for an oral evaluation.
I am A1 if I can
"- Understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Introduce myself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- Interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help." (CEFR)
- In terms of grammar: I know the genders, the plural form, the present, the near future and have some notions of the passé composé.
I am A2 if I can:
"- Understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Describe in simple terms aspects of my background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need." (CEFR)
In terms of grammar, I can use: the impératif, the future, the passé composé, the imparfait, the plus que parfait, the subjonctif. I understand the conditionnel. I know the pronouns.
I am B1 if I can:
"- Understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans." (CEFR)
In terms of grammar: I have mastered the use of the different tenses of the past, all the pronouns, the use of the subjonctif/ indicatif, and the conditionnel to modulate my opinion. I know how to express the cause, the consequence, the opposition.
I am B2 if I can:
"- Understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.
- Interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party.
- Produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options." (CECR)
I am C1 if I can:
"- Understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning.
- Express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
- Use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. " (CEFR)
I am C2 if I can:
"- Understand with ease virtually everything heard or read.
- Summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation.
- Express myself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. " (CEFR)